Grits are one of those foods that can be completely disgusting or simply amazing. It's all in the way they are prepared. Luckily, working at a BBQ restaurant for 4 years gave me exposure to some delicious cheddar grits, and I have always been a fan.
My boyfriend was reluctant to try this, as he has only tried the slimy, tasteless version. I promised him that he would like my recipe, I mean, how could he not? My grits have cheese, bacon, and jalapeños. That's a winning combination. Is decided to top it all off with a fried egg, and it was amazing! The yolk combined with the spice of the peppers, the salt of the bacon, and the richness of the cheese is simply amazing!
Jalapeño, Jack & Bacon Breakfast Grits
8 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
2 small or 1 large jalapeño, seeded and diced
1 cup skimmed milk
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups hot water
1/2 cups corn grits/polenta
1 tsp. salt
2 cups reduced fat shredded Colby Jack cheese, divided
1/4 cup green onions, sliced (for garnish)
1. In large sauté pan or cast iron, add bacon and jalapeños. Cook over medium heat until bacon is crispy.
2. Remove from heat, transfer bacon and peppers on to plate with paper towel. Pat with towel to remove grease. Drain grease from pan and set aside.
3. In large sauce pan, add milk, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil and slowly add the grits and stir with whisk. Reduce heat and continue simmering 5-7 minutes or until grits have thickened, stirring frequently.
4. In the mean time, fry eggs in frypan used for cooking bacon. I prefer mine sunny-side up, but cook eggs however you like them. Remove eggs from pan and set aside.
5. Once grits reach desired consistency, add salt, bacon, jalapeños and half of the cheese.
6. Transfer to fry pan, top with remaining cheese and broil in oven 2-3 minutes to melt cheese.
7. Top with green onions, spoon evenly in to four bowls and top each with 1 fried egg. Enjoy!