The other day I was shopping at Whole Foods and I saw that they were having a sale on oranges. I had no idea that I was buying blood oranges! As soon as I cut the first one open, I know I wanted to try my hand at making my own blood orange simple syrup. This easy recipe is perfect in alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks alike. And my personal favorite cocktail is the Mojito, so of course I had to make a version with my new syrup! Cheers!
Blood Orange Mojitos
8 mint leaves
1/2 lime, cubed
2 oz. blood orange simple syrup
2 oz. Bacardi silver rum
4 oz. club soda
Additional lime/blood orange segments for garnish
1. Place mint and limes bottom of glass and muddle about 5 times.
2. Fill glass with ice, add syrup and rum and shake well in cocktail shaker.
3. Pour back in to glass and top with club soda and garnish. Enjoy!
Blood Orange Simple Syrup
Juice of 2 blood oranges
Zest of 1 blood orange
Peel of 1 blood orange
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1. Combine all ingredients in large saucepan and bring to boil, stirring often. Boil until all sugar has dissolved.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Strain through fine mesh strainer into jar or bottle.
3. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month. Enjoy!