Who doesn't love Mac 'n cheese? It's one of those warm comfort foods that hits the spot every time. Here's my spin on an old classic. By using butternut squash in the sauce, this recipe gives you all the ooey gooey cheesy flavor without all the fattening calories!
Make it a meal with my Turkey Meatloaf Muffins and some roasted asparagus!
Butternut Squash and Smoked Gouda Mac 'n Cheese
4 cups butternut squash, cubed
3 cups whole wheat macaroni noodles, dry
1 tbsp Tuscan herb flavored olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cups skim milk
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
4 green onions
3/4 lb cubed + 1/4 lb shredded smoked Gouda cheese, divided
2/3 cup Panko crumbs
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Coat casserole dish with nonstick spray.
3. Bring two pots of water to a boil. In first pan, boil squash for 5-10 minutes or until softened. In second pan, boil pasta for 5-10 minutes or until tender.
4. Drain pasta and return to pan, set aside. Drain squash and return to pan. Mash squash with potato masher until smooth, set aside.
5. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add yellow onion and sautée until browned, stirring frequently.
6. Add half the milk and bring to simmer. Whisk in pepper, garlic, parsley, oregano, salt, and green onions.
7. Gradually add cubed Gouda and remaining cup of milk, melting cheese each time. Continue to cook until mixture thickens, whisking continuously. Add mashed squash and mix until combined. Pour over cooked pasta and stir until evenly coated. Transfer pasta to casserole dish.
8. Combine Panko crumbs, Italian seasoning, and shredded cheese. Sprinkle Panko mixture evenly over pasta.
9. Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes or until bubbling and slightly browned on top.
10. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Helpful Tip: when cooking for one or two, bake half and freeze the rest for next week!